Friday 16 October 2015

Adventures with Grannies

Yesterday evening, we had the monthly meeting of the Huddersfield Knitting & Crochet Guild branch.   The theme was "Adventures with Grannies" - Sarah Alderson, who is a member of the group, led a workshop on Granny squares.  And also Granny hexagons, triangles, circles, stars,....

I got a square completed, reminding myself of making things with Granny squares back in the 70s, and then made a hexagon when I got home.
 
 
They were satisfying to make, and it was a good evening, well-attended.   But I'm not sure I have the patience to make something with a lot of granny squares (or hexagons) any more - there are so many ends to sew in.

I also bought Sarah's new book, An Elven Reckoning, full of delightful knits (and models with pointy Elven ears).  

An Elven Reckoning, Sarah Alderson

I especially like the sweater shown on the cover, on the left, with a yoke in stranded knitting - it's called Nórui, meaning Fiery.  Sarah was wearing it last night in different colours  (you can find a photo of it in Ravelry), and it looked really good.  (I think the sword and pointy ears are optional.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes but what self respecting knitter would go out in a jumper like that without a sword and pointy ears! The jumpers look beautiful - Amazon don't currently have the book - must go hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get the book from Sarah's website at http://www.aldersign.com/. She was selling it at Yarndale, too, and it's in my local yarn shop in Huddersfield - not an Amazon kind of book, though.

      Delete
  2. No there shouldn't be lots of ends to sew in with any crochet - it is EASY to work them in as you go along, especially the first end and then the last one you just hook around and around ... I am sorry I wasn't there as I could have showed you these techniques.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...