Margaret wanted something that would be suitable for either a girl or a boy. I wanted something quick to knit. So we looked through the baby patterns for double knitting.
|King Cole 3803|
I really dislike sewing up, so I knitted the body in the round up to the armholes, and knitted the sleeves in the round too. I find it difficult to get seams in cuffs and welts to look neat, so they are best avoided. I posted the jacket to Margaret earlier this week. It had buttonholes but no buttons, as in the photo - adding the buttons is her job. And while I was knitting it, the baby arrived - it's a boy.
It's very satisfying to be able to knit an entire garment so quickly, and I think it's turned out rather well. Eli will look very smart.
And the pattern leaflet is now in the Guild collection. We need to keep up-to-date when we can.
PS June 2017. I've just been sent a photo of Eli wearing his jacket - and it still fits him, though he started out big and has grown a lot. So nice to see it being worn.
What a good friend you are!...and luckily the buttons seem to be on the correct side for a boy.ReplyDelete
Yes, I did sort of wonder which side to put the buttonholes when I didn't know whether I was knitting for a girl or a boy. I decided that having the buttons on the right might be easier for a parent to do up, though that's guesswork.Delete