I have been knitting a scarf for my sister for quite a while now - I wrote in August about knitting a swatch for it, here. It's been my main knitting project ever since, though I've been doing other bits of knitting, too (as well as everything else that needs doing apart from knitting). It took a long time because of Margaret's specification - she wanted it to be 80 inches long and 10 inches wide (about 200 × 25 cm.) And it is.
I could have made it a bit longer, because I had 20g. of yarn left, out of the original 200g. But we had arranged to meet last Monday, so I had to stop knitting and press it before then. Otherwise, I would have finished off the yarn - I think 80 inches was intended as a minimum, not a maximum, and I don't have an obvious use for 20g. of 4-ply yarn.
It wasn't a surprise present. Margaret approved the colour before I bought the yarn, and I sent her the swatch so that she could check that it wouldn't be irritating (it's alpaca and nylon, because she can't wear wool). So on Monday she tried it for size and declared it long enough, before re-wrapping it to put away until Christmas Day.
It is all knitted in dewdrop stitch, from Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns - an easy lace pattern. Three out of four rows are just k3, p3 all across the row, and the complications that make it lacy are all on the 4th row.
The wrong side looks just as good as the right side, too, though they aren't the same. In the photo below, the wrong side is shown on the right.
A very successful project - it will be wonderfully warm and cosy to wear. And not itchy.