Monday 21 December 2015

2015 - A Year of Books

As usual, I have made Christmas cards for one of my book groups that show this year's books.

 


We have read:

  • The Shock of the Fall, Nathan Filer
  • Apple Tree Yard, Louise Doughty
  • The Inheritance of Loss, Kiran Desai 
  • The Interestings, Meg Wolitzer
  • Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons
  • The Book of Lost and Found, Lucy Foley
  • Plainsong, Kent Haruf
  • H is for Hawk, Helen Macdonald

Cold Comfort Farm is an old favourite - most of us had read it before, a long time ago, and we decided to read it again and see if it was as good as we remembered (yes, it was).  I loved H is for Hawk - I have lent my copy to a friend, but will re-read it when it's returned.  Plainsong was a discovery - I had never heard of the author, but enjoyed it very much, and have since read his other novels set in the same fictional town.  The Shock of the Fall is a moving account of a young man struggling with mental illness.  At the other end of the scale, I really didn't like Apple Tree Yard - my copy went to a charity shop as soon as we had discussed it. Not much to say about the others - in fact, I must confess I never read The Interestings because we were going to be on holiday when the group met to discuss it.

We've already started on next year's books - for the next meeting in January we are reading Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...