Friday 29 March 2013

Another Wedding Dress

I wrote a few weeks ago here about two wedding dress pattern leaflets that I had found. Christina commented that there is also a wedding dress pattern in the 1976 edition of Fashion Knits, an annual publication by Patons that they produced from the late 1950s to the 1980s.  We have a complete run of Fashion Knits in the Knitting & Crochet Guild collection, so I was able to find the dress.  Here it is.

1976 knitted wedding dress

Unlike the last two I showed, this one is knitted.  The yarn is called Kismet, which seems to have been 80% acrylic with some mohair, and maybe some wool too.  Perhaps a bit warm for a June bride (although considering the weather we've been having, maybe not).   Not a very modern shape - long sleeves seem to be completely out of style for brides, and the skirt isn't right for today. And it can't quite decide where the waist should be - is it an Empire line or a natural waist?   But I'm sure a 1976 bride would have looked lovely in it.

2 comments:

  1. That would definitely be a love project. I've just read a book in which someone knits 2 evening gowns for an old friend. Then her friend asks her to knit curtains. She drew the line there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have drawn the line somewhere before knitting 2 evening dresses for someone else, personally...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...