Wednesday 15 August 2018

Who was Marion Grey?

I've found this pair of knitting needles - not in the Knitting & Crochet Guild collection, though that's where they are going.  They were in one of my own needle boxes, but I can't remember when I acquired them, or where from - I certainly didn't buy them new.



I must have had them before I got interested in knitting needle makes, and started looking closely at needles for anything that's written on them, because I had never noticed before what's written on these:

MARION GREY, COLINDALE, NO. 7


This is not a needle brand listed in Susan Webster's catalogue, as far as I can see, which is quite exciting.  I suppose it's possible that Marion Grey was a knitter who had a set of needles with her name on (just as you can get personalised pencils and other things with your name on) - but as someone who loses knitting needles far too often, I think that I'd want to put contact information on mine.  'Marion Grey, Colindale' wouldn't be sufficient to find her easily.  Another possibility, which I think is more likely, is that Marion Grey had a yarn shop in Colindale (an area of north London) and had needles made to publicise the shop.  Or, just conceivably, maybe she had a knitting needle factory?

If anyone knows anything about Marion Grey of Colindale, please do let me know. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about Marion Grey I'm afraid but thank-you for the link to the needle catalogue. I didn't know about that. My favourite old needles are those made of cassein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Susan Webster's catalogue is a great resource. How do you identify casein? I think I know how to identify vulcanite (smells like rubber), but early plastics like casein and bakelite are beyond me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll go and have a good sniff around the needles in the Guild collection then....

      Delete
  3. Lovely! That collection sounds like my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and visit if you're ever in the Huddersfield area.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...