|Trying to match the pattern illustration, but I got my feet the wrong way round.|
(Apologies for my chubby knees - I don't usually flaunt them.)
Knitting them was part of a sort of historical experiment, because the pattern is from World War 2. I used a Copley's pattern, but there were several others published around the same time. (You can tell the wartime Copley's patterns, because the cartoon figure is wearing a tin helmet - before and after the war he is wearing a pill-box hat. I think he is supposed to be a bell-boy.)
The claimed advantages are that they spread the wear on the heels so that they last longer before you have to darn them, and that they fit anyone, as well as being easy to knit. So Angharad and I both decided to knit a pair - hers (in progress) were part of the WW2 display at Baa Ram Ewe in October.
I chose grey for mine, partly with a feeling that that would be an authentic colour for WW2 (though the yarn is not authentic - it is Wendy Roam sock yarn, which has some nylon in it.) But I usually wear black socks in the winter, so grey is already a bit exciting. And I made them knee-length for warmth, though that made them boring to knit - until you get to the toe, you are just knitting a long tube that seems endless, with no heel to add a bit of variety. They are very easy to knit, though.
So now I am wearing them, and they are very warm. But they aren't staying up very well, which is disappointing. I may have to elasticate the tops. Maybe Angharad's (which I think are planned to be ankle socks) will behave better. I'll give an update later.